With Halo having been moved to 343i, Bungie needed to create a new IP to bring back some long time devoted fans. Revealing their newest title Destiny yesterday, we got quite a bit of information.
"Very few games transcend their medium and their genre to truly become a part of popular culture; to belong in the time capsule as something that we can all share. And we believe Destiny could become one of those games," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said, describing its title as the "worst-kept secret in the history of secrets."Destiny is a futuristic first-person-shooter set during a "Golden Age" of humanity. Mankind has spread across the stars and a great peace spans our solar system.
"But it didn't last" - Destiny trailer narration.Humanity is hit by an unknown force that nearly wipes out every living soul. Earth is saved by a relatively vague character. No one knows who this mysterious figure truly is, but legend says that "The Traveler" sacrificed himself to save the planet. Finding protection under the sphere belonging to The Traveler (or which might be The Traveler itself), Earths sole city is built. This city acts as a base of operations for the players as you try and restore the world. But you discover you are not alone.
"Strange, deadly creatures have occupied our old worlds. And they're pressing hard against the city, probing for a weakness, trying to stamp us out for good. If you can find a way to save the city, to reclaim all that we have lost, you will become legend. If you fail, the last light of civilization will go out." - Destiny trailer narration.Wielding some of The Travelers enhanced technology, players venture into the unclaimed parts of the Earth and the other planets in our solar system to destroy these enemies and reclaim our homes.
- Destiny will have MMO-like features.
- You can team up with your friends, but you can also team up with chance encounter players from all over the world. At least 6 player co-op play.
- Destiny continuously interacts with servers to find other players in the same area or working on the same mission as you and teaming you up.
- Chance encounters are "seamless transitions" requiring no co-op queue lobbies or "player is joining match" notifications. Bungie wants it to feel like a completely random encounter. Players can form a lasting alliance or split ways once the loot has been divided.
- "Social hubs" can act as trading posts where players can swap gear or gamble at the tables. Players can also access competitive multiplayer at these hubs. Multiplayer will allow players to attain greater status and can increase their value, granting things like larger ships and more powerful weapons.
- "These are living, open worlds with evolving stories, changing time of day…and every one is full of players," says engineering lead Chris Butcher. "Destiny is an always online experience, but it's not an MMO.
- "Destiny knows you're tired, impatient, and distracted. Players don't want to work hard. They don't want to read. They don't want to go to the Internet to figure out our bullshit."- project director Jason Jones.
- There is no subscription fee
"We want every night to be a new experience," says Jason Jones. "Our goal is that every time a player sits down to play Destiny, they have a different experience from the last time. This led us to create emergent activities, rare activities, time-limited activities. So you get distracted from doing the thing you wanted to doing something you didn't expect."Consoles and beyond
- Only announced for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 at the moment. Possible PC expansion and next-gen systems planned.
- Access to your character will be available through mobile apps and also on Bungie's website, bungie.net.
- No announcement date, but it will be a 2014 launch.
- 3 types of Guardian classes announced for the time being.
- Hunter, Warlock, Titan.
- Nothing fleshed out on character descriptions beyond the Warlock having "magic-like" abilities.
- Each character can be customized fully in clothing, armor, cloaks, and weaponry.
- Cabal (Sand Eaters) - "massive, armored rhinos carrying slug-throwers and driving big tanks."
- Spider pirates
- Evil space zombies
- Time-traveling robots
|Time Traveling Robots|